The purpose of this discussion is to analyze and evaluate how American race relations shaped the growth of pot war suburbia.
For this discussion, review your readings and sources for unit 11 and read the following scenario.
Scenario: In the years after World War II, subdivisions like Levittown sprouted up throughout America. Watch the video and review your readings to prepare your response. Your team will take one of the following roles:
- African American seeking to move to a segregated suburb like Levittown
- White American opposed to desegregating the neighborhood.
Answer the following questions. Be sure to bring in evidence you have found about race relations in America between 1954 and 1957 :
- Why are you interested in living in this neighborhood?
- What are your concerns about desegregation?
Both teams: Write a summary where you answer the following:
- What does the controversy about Levittown and similar suburbs say about America’s rhetoric about being superior to communism during the Cold War?
- What similarities exist between the northern citizens in a suburb like Levittown and their southern neighbors?
- What are the implications of having women voicing their opinions?
Before you complete your discussion, make sure you refer to the course rubric for the expectations for this assignment.