Case Study Overview
A small surgery center needs your help to create a database. The office manager has identified the following types of data (entities): patients, doctors, procedures and appointments using the following business rules:
Patients can have many doctors and many doctors can see many patients.
Patients can have many procedures and many procedures are done on patients.
Doctors can have multiple appointments. (hint: these are many to many relationships, so associative tables need to be added)
- Please identify the attributes and primary keys needed for each of the entities.
- Identify the data types you would use for each of the attributes.
- Determine the relationships between the entities and find the one-to-many and many-to-many relationships.
- Use the ER matrix to determine the relationships.
- Create an ER diagram using Visio including the associative tables based on your analysis.
- Identify all foreign keys needed in the database design.
- Create the database and relationships in Access and populate the tables using the spreadsheets.
- To use the database as the main office application, what other entities and attributes might be needed?
NOTE: The Case Study is an individual project.
Due Week 8
- Upload completed Visio Conceptual Design.
- Upload completed Access database file
- A 3-5 page APA paper discussing the following topics:
- Discuss Database impact on the workplace,
- Discuss database benefits when businesses use querie,
- Forms, and reports.
- Discuss at least two security concerns should be discussed with a proposed solution to mitigate the security issues.
StepTaskPoints1Attributes 1aPrimary key identified for each entity (four tables) 51bAttributes identified for each entity (four tables) 52Data Types 2aIdentified data types53Relationships 3aIdentify one-to-many relationships.53bIdentify many-to-many relationships.54Foreign Keys 4aAdd foreign keys to tables as needed.105ER Diagrams 5aCreate an ER diagram using Visio.156Create and Populate the Database 6aCreate the tables and relationships in Access.156bIntegrate the data from the spreadsheets206cCreate query 1106dCreate query 2.106eCreate query 3.107Written report
7aDiscuss database benefits when businesses use queries, forms, and reports107bDiscuss at least two security concerns should be discussed with a proposed solution to mitigate the security issues. 107cEdit, spellcheck, and list references.5Total Points 140